Thursday, December 15, 2016

Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Christmas Shopping Haul

Everyone loves the sales on Black Friday, but I personally hate being out shopping with that many other people in order to get them. I went out for a bit on Black Friday in the middle of the day, and it wasn't too horrible since a lot of people were at work. I didn't buy much, just two pairs of booties from Kohls and two of Hard Candy's Metallic Mousse liquid lip colors (Smoke & Mirrors, Sweet as Honey). 

I bought low heeled booties from Kohls so that I could get rid of some of the shoes I can no longer wear and still have shoes I enjoy wearing. I'm not sure if I've talked about this before, but I have somewhat severe joint problems in my knees that as they get worse it becomes harder and harder to wear shoes with high heels due to the strain they put on my joints when I walk. So slowly I have been getting rid of things that make my joints hurt, and replacing them with more practical options that are still cute. It's not a huge change as I practically live in combat boots and off-brand Sperry's, but it's something I didn't think I would be going through in my 20's. My whole wardrobe has been changing this year because I am adapting to all sorts of changes that show up in your mid 20's as you become less like a teenager and more like a woman. I'm excited to see what my style becomes with these changes and how I adapt to my new lifestyle.

As for the Hard Candy lip colors, I've swatched them as well as worn the gold one once, and while I enjoy the formula I had been expecting them to have been more like a liquid lipstick that dries and less of a cream lipstick formula. The colors are to die for, and I love the metallic sheen and I'll likely be picking up the rest of the colors when I can get my hands on them.

Cyber Monday I ordered the Grav3yardgirl Swamp Queen Palette from Tarte cosmetics as well as the two Tarteist lip paints from the same collaboration (Swamp Family and Texas Toast) I also threw in the Gifted smart mascara because I had seen it before and was curious to try it. with the sale the palette and lip paints were 30% off, and the mascara was only $10. I swatched the lip paints and the colors are as amazing as they looked in photos and on Bunny's channel on YouTube. I haven't gotten a chance to wear them out, but I plan to wear the red for Christmas. I haven't played with the paletter yet either, and can't bring myself to open the mascara because I already have several open. I'll have to get these all opened up and let you all know how I feel.

I made both a in store purchase and an online purchase from Sephora for the holidays. In my online purchase I was able to get one of the gift bags of samples that were free with a $30 purchase. To qualify I purchased the Elizabeth and James Nirvana mini perfume rollerball set which has 4 rollerballs, one with each scent in the Nirvava collection (Black, White, Burbon, Rose). They're all very elegant fragrances with depth and a darkness to them from woody and musky notes. I've been completely obsessed with the complexity and deepness of these fragrances, but the price for a full size is a little steep for me, so the minis were a great way to experience each one without buying 4 full size bottles.

In the free samples bag (which is a cute black and white striped makeup bag with the same jewel print that it on the holiday gift sets this year) you had a choice of three sets each with about 8 samples in it. Each set was different, but I chose the one I thought I would enjoy the most. I received 2 perfume samples, 4 skincare samples, and 2 makeup samples. 

For perfume, I ended up with a sample Nirvana White from Elizabeth James, which even though I have the rollerball, I am excited to have this as well because of my love for these fragrances. I also got a sample of a perfume I have never heard of called Chloe which is a powdery rose scent. I wasn't completely excited for this product, but it smells like something I am willing to try out, if not it will become a stocking stuffer for a friend this Christmas. 

For skincare, I received a sample of the Modern Friction dermabrasion face wash from Origins which seems like something I will really enjoy using. I also have an Erno Laszio Sensitive Cleansing Duo from the Soothe & Calm line. This comes with the cleansing bar and the cleansing oil. I haven't broken them open yet, but I always like to try new skincare for sensitive skin since I struggle with finding something that is sensitive enough for my skin but also gets the job done and cleans my skin enough. Next up was the Dr. Jart+ Every Sun Day UV Sun Fluid spf 30 sunscreen. I'm pretty excited about this one because it is very liquidy and light weight so hopefully it won't clog my pores or irritate my skin, it doesn't have that horrible sunscreen scent, but instead a pleasant citrusy one, and it melts into the skin without leaving being all kinds of oily residue behind. And the final skincare item, which also falls into the makeup category, is the Sephora brand Waterproof Makeup Remover fluid. It's a biphase liquid remover which doesn't smell too chemically, but I'm not sure how much I'll like it or if it will be too strong for my skin or leave behind an oily residue like the last few I have used in the past, but it's worth a try. 

For makeup, I picked the set that had the CoverFx Custom Enhancer Drops sample in Moonlight, because I absolutely had to have it. Everyone has raved about this on YouTube since it came out, and there was no way I was passing up the chance to give it a try and see whether it's worth the splurge. It's a gorgeous soft golden colored liquid made to be mixed with foundation, and you can bet I'm going to be all over that. I might even try applying it like a liquid highlighter to see how it looks. I'm totally excited to have this and I can' wait to try it out. The swatch of it was like liquid metal, and I can't handle it! And Finally, I got the sample of the Makeup Forever Artist Rouge Creme lipstick in C211 which is the perfect "My Lips But Better" shade. I wore this one night to work to test it out, and it both applies nice and smoothly and lasts a long time.

Along with my order I received three perfume samples that I picked,Mr. Burberry, and Versace Eau Fraiche to add to a present for my boyfriend for Christmas, and Eau de Cartier (another rose scent) which replaced one of the ones that was out of stock by the time they filled my order.

My In-store purchases at Sephora were mostly odds and ends that I had seen on my previous walks around the store and decided to pick up as a present to myself for working so hard. I started by picking up the Becca Glow on the Go set in Moonstone and the Anastasia Beverly Hills Metallic satin finish eyeshadow in Amber a metallic coppery shade. I then saw that Formula X nail polish was 50% off (making them only $5!) so I quick snatched up the shade Huntress, a deep emerald or olive with gold shimmer. which had been out of stock online for months, and the shade Intrepid which is an olive green or army green shade. At the end I finally convinced myself to buy the Bite Beauty multistick in Gelato, a dusty rose with a hint of brown which is a pretty good dupe for my favorite contour color from Revlon.

On the same shopping trip I ended up walking past MAC, and although I didn't get what I went in to get (an extra dimension shadow which was out of stock) I did end up with 3 items on clearance from the Star Trek collection. I got two pressed pigments (and I'll probably go grab a third since technically I bought the wrong one) To Boldly Go which is a mahogany color and Midnight which is a deep blue. I also was immediately overtaken by the nail polish in the shade Skin of Evil because of it's gorgeous silver metallic color with green and blue scattered throughout. I just couldn't resist!

Then, last week we went on a family trip to the outlet mall to do some Holiday shopping. I bought a couple of things in Rue 21 including a pair of jogger pants, two more pairs of shoes, a shirt, and a fake fur vest. I stopped in a bunch of stores looking at clothes and sneakers but came up empty in basically every store. We went to Bath and Body Works and I picked up some of the holiday scents. I of course picked up Vanilla Bean Noel in the large lotion and spray bottles since it's my favorite scent. I also picked up the small Ginger Bread Latte lotion and spray because they smelled yummy and the twisted peppermint small spray because the small bottles are buy 2 get 1 free. They're all very complex and not overly Christmasy. Most of them have a musky scent added to them to tone down the holiday scents.

Yesterday I went to Target to put together a spa kit for my best friend since she is just getting married and has a young daughter who runs her ragged every day. I figured she would enjoy a chance to pamper herself once in a while when she can get her hubby to watch their daughter for an hour or so. So after picking out some masks, bath bombs and a deep conditioning hair treatment for her, I had walked away with three nail polishes, a liquid lipstick and an all natural bees wax gift set for myself.
The nail polishes were on clearance and were Sinful Colors Supernova (1148), a neutral metallic, Sinful Colors Copper Pot (1503), an orange copper metallic, and Defy and Inspire's French Horns a silver and pink duochrome glitter polish. the liquid lipstick is from Tattoo Junkee and I'm just lucky I saw it when I passed it because there was only one hidden among the clutter. It's one of the chroma colors in Skinny Dip (2016-W) which is a matte pink lip color with a bright orange-copper chrome powder to put over top to change the look. They have a bunch of different types and I hope to get my hands on more of them soon, but I'm excited to have found this one! Finally the bees wax gift set is from Savannah Bee and has a lip balm and a body balm stick in it. The lip balm comes in Wild Blackberry and the body balm is Honey & Beeswax in Rosemary and Lavender. I was curious what the body balm would be, but thought I might see if it works for protecting my skin in the elements when it is really cold and snowy in the coming months. If not it may become a large lip balm, but either way it will do just fine. It might also do well for the cuticles and fingertips since I do manual labor for work.

Hope you ladies are as excited for these reviews as I am! 
Happy Holidays and Warm Thoughts
BNB

No comments: